A few summers ago, right after graduating college I had the opportunity of a lifetime! I was a family camp counselor for Sky Ranch in Lake City, CO. During the week it was go-go-go. Serving families kept the staff busy, but on the weekends we were able to do tons of exploring. For this TX girl who had only been to Colorado during the winter to hit the slopes, my eyes were opened to all this great state had to offer. Meaningless to say if you have the opportunity to visit Colorado during the summer months you will not be disappointed.
If you find yourself near Lake City here are some of the must-do adventures you’ll need to take.
- Just get out. Don’t plan anything! Take a day and just drive. Some of my favorite adventures consisted of me in Big Bertha (my 4-wheel drive beast) taking on the earth below us. If you want to go to a specific spot to do so I recommend Alpine Loop. If you start in Lake City there is a place where you can rent 4-wheel drive vehicles to do so. I would NOT recommend taking your own car on this trail. It gets rowdy! Definitely not for the faint of heart. This trail is a full day event – plan accordingly.
- Take a day trip to Crested Bute visit the town park for the best view from a swing set you will ever experience. (Between 6th street and 7th street from Elk Avenue to Belleview Avenue) Don’t forget to stop by Niky’s mini Donuts in town for the cutest 50’s themed blast from the past and delicious donuts.
- Visit Deer Lakes near the top of Slumgullion Pass at dusk or dawn for your chance to see a moose! It was my goal all summer long to spot one and during my last weekend / 3rd trip to Deer Lakes I finally saw a momma and her babies.
- Enjoy a short hike to Thompson Lake a sweet view just don’t forget the bug spray! Then treat yourself at the San Juan Soda shop for the best ice cream you’ll ever have. I am still dreaming of the Black Cherry flavor.
- Enjoy a calm or grueling whitewater rafting trip. Scenic River Tours ( https://scenicrivertours.com/trips/rafting/ ) is the best and they many different levels of difficulty that the whole family can enjoy!
- Last but not least, enjoy a day on the Blue Mesa Reservoir. Rent a boat and enjoy a day of fishing, swimming or just plain old relaxing on the cool water.
Whatever you do, just get out there and have fun!! Adventure is out there!